The theme of Back Care Awareness Week 2017 is Back Pain in Education. Many episodes of adult back and neck pain are preventable, and occur during childhood or adolescence. Educating our children on the importance of taking care of their backs in the early years, will be beneficial later on.
There are simple ways to educate our children on back care, such as encouraging them to:
The National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence has published guidelines on the management of Low Back pain with or without Sciatica. NICE makes the following key recommendations for healthcare providers:
• Provide people with advice and information, tailored to their needs and capabilities, to help them self-manage their low back pain
• Consider a group exercise programme (biomechanical, aerobic, mind–body or a combination of approaches)
• Consider manual therapy (spinal manipulation, mobilisation or soft tissue techniques) but only as part of a treatment package including exercise, with or without psychological therapy
• Consider psychological therapies using a cognitive behavioural approach with or without a combined physical programme
• Promote and facilitate return to work or normal activities of daily living
Crystal Palace Physio Group offers a number of exercises programmes under the NHS Service for Bromley and Lambeth residents with low back pain. In order to be referred into these classes, your will need a referral from the GP to our service and have an assessment with one of our physiotherapists.
Further information on Back Care Awareness Week.